OT: I passed my defense
2016-03-30 22:35:35 UTC
I passed my Ph.D. thesis proposal defense this afternoon, with no changes
needed to the written proposal. I plan to celebrate tonight at the session at
Folk Night at The Ship Pub followed by the last set of Suzanne Power at The
Black Sheep Pub.

Today I had to present my proposal in a 30 minute talk and then the three
voting examiners had 15 minutes each to ask questions and then they had 10
minutes each to ask a second round of questions.
"But my thoughts are for you babe till im out of my mind,
For twenty one years is a mighty long time." (Bob Miller)
Mike Duffy
2016-03-30 23:26:14 UTC
I passed my Ph.D. thesis proposal defense this afternoon
Congradulations! But now the real work starts.
http://mduffy.x10host.com/index.htm
David Dalton
2016-03-31 05:14:42 UTC
Post by Mike Duffy
Post by David Dalton
I passed my Ph.D. thesis proposal defense this afternoon
Congradulations! But now the real work starts.
Yes indeed, and I hope to have it done in another 1.5 years.
David Dalton
2016-03-31 05:14:07 UTC
I passed my Ph.D. thesis proposal defense this afternoon, with no changes
needed to the written proposal. I plan to celebrate tonight at the session at
Folk Night at The Ship Pub followed by the last set of Suzanne Power at The
Black Sheep Pub.
The music was good, but I probably overdid the beer. Also there was one
guy, a friend of a friend, who insisted on telling me his life story when I
was trying to listen to the music at the Ship.
Deborah
2016-04-04 03:45:06 UTC
I passed my Ph.D. thesis proposal defense this afternoon, with no changes
needed to the written proposal. I plan to celebrate tonight at the session at
Folk Night at The Ship Pub followed by the last set of Suzanne Power at The
Black Sheep Pub.
The music was good, but I probably overdid the beer. Also there was one
guy, a friend of a friend, who insisted on telling me his life story when I
was trying to listen to the music at the Ship.
Do you get any local stories about the 20 yr old lady who drove off
the cliff at Signal Hill? If she jumped out of the car before it went
over, but a tad too late to avoid being injured, it sounds to me like
her accelerator pedal might have stuck to the floor of the car. Either
that or it was suicide and she chickened out at the last minute.

Some stories I just have to know more...
Mike Duffy
2016-04-04 14:48:40 UTC
[...] it sounds to me like her accelerator pedal might have stuck
[...] Some stories I just have to know more...
People sometimes 'mix up' the brake & accelerator. This usually happens
less with a stick shift. I have one, and it can still happen, but you known
right away when the engine over-revs.

Presumably, it will be worse with an unfamiliar car. Also, I have found
that driving around on cruise control can 'screw up' conditioned responses
we've been working on our entire life.
http://mduffy.x10host.com/index.htm
David Dalton
2016-04-05 03:45:44 UTC
Post by Deborah
Post by David Dalton
(in
Post by Deborah
at
Folk Night at The Ship Pub followed by the last set of Suzanne Power at The
Black Sheep Pub.
The music was good, but I probably overdid the beer. Also there was one
guy, a friend of a friend, who insisted on telling me his life story when I
was trying to listen to the music at the Ship.
Do you get any local stories about the 20 yr old lady who drove off
the cliff at Signal Hill? If she jumped out of the car before it went
over, but a tad too late to avoid being injured, it sounds to me like
her accelerator pedal might have stuck to the floor of the car. Either
that or it was suicide and she chickened out at the last minute.
Some stories I just have to know more...
There was a bit on the local CBC TV news this evening and I
think she was thrown from the car and is in hospital with
serious injuries. She is lucky to be still alive. No doubt
they will have a bit more news on the incident after she is
interviewed.
Deborah
2016-04-05 05:01:49 UTC
Post by Deborah
Post by David Dalton
(in
Post by Deborah
[...]
Maybe, but if she was knocked unconscious, the chances are she will
not be able to remember the moments leading up to the accident, never
mind the accident itself.