LittleEndian's Circle Cleaning Diary -- Week 0
Add Reply
LittleEndian65
2018-01-07 20:04:48 UTC
Since nobody else is posting anything of note to the group, I've decided
to talk into the void and use it as an excuse to clean my circle.

I know how to clean my circle. I also know how to slowly let it become
messy again. This is a cycle I've been in for probably over a decade
now. I wouldn't give myself much hope of escaping this cycle, but my
circumstances have recently changed, and a cleaner circle is becoming
more of a necessity.

To start with, the plan is to do two 30-minutes sessions of cleaning
each day, one in the morning and one before bed. On top of that, I
intend to not mess up my circle throughout the rest of the day. I expect
this plan to evolve over the coming weeks.

My goal is to clean the circle and keep it clean. I only have humble
ambitions -- no enchanting of brooms to move water.

I intend to post once a week, each Sunday night, with a short report of
my week.
Mike_Duffy
2018-01-08 02:15:43 UTC
Post by LittleEndian65
Since nobody else is posting anything of note to the group, I've decided
to talk into the void and use it as an excuse to clean my circle.
It might superficially resemble a void, but is actually an echo chamber
wherein the echoes are modulated by other concious entities. (i.e. other
faceless Usenet posters).

I have absolutely no idea why I continue to follow this group. Most of the
interesting posters from yesteryear have become inactive. I guess I'm a
creature of habit.

BTW, thanks for the link in the parallel thread.
Post by LittleEndian65
I know how to clean my circle. I also know how to slowly let it become
messy again. This is a cycle I've been in for probably over a decade
now. I wouldn't give myself much hope of escaping this cycle, but my
circumstances have recently changed, and a cleaner circle is becoming
more of a necessity.
At the risk(*) of sounding stupid, what is circle cleaning?
Post by LittleEndian65
My goal is to clean the circle and keep it clean. I only have humble
ambitions -- no enchanting of brooms to move water.
Whatever the expression means, it's probably a good idea because keeping
anything clean usually makes it last longer. Plus there are always
aesthetics to consider.

(*) Not really much of a risk, considering the dearth of current group
followers.
LittleEndian65
2018-01-08 21:49:27 UTC
Post by LittleEndian65
I know how to clean my circle. I also know how to slowly let it become
messy again. This is a cycle I've been in for probably over a decade
now. I wouldn't give myself much hope of escaping this cycle, but my
circumstances have recently changed, and a cleaner circle is becoming
more of a necessity.
At the risk(*) of sounding stupid,
On the contrary, I think it is me who sounds stupid for using the term.
Of all the traditions, this is the one that the mentally ill flock. But
we are in alt.magick. When in Rome...
Post by Mike_Duffy
what is circle cleaning?
Crowley describes the circle here, amongst other terms:
https://hermetic.com/crowley/book-4/aba2

To me, the circle is your mind. To have a clean circle is to have a
quiet mind, although it is probably more accurate to say it is when you
can remain equanimous regardless of the contents of your mind. I'd say
that, ultimately, it is the ability to unflinchingly perceive this
moment without referring to your judgements about it.

I like Jeff Foster's explanation:

Post by Mike_Duffy
Post by LittleEndian65
My goal is to clean the circle and keep it clean. I only have humble
ambitions -- no enchanting of brooms to move water.
Whatever the expression means, it's probably a good idea because keeping
anything clean usually makes it last longer. Plus there are always
aesthetics to consider.
Especially if you have some sort of infestation to uncover, which you
need to rid yourself of and clean up after. I believe that will be a
theme I'll visit in the coming weeks.
Post by Mike_Duffy
(*) Not really much of a risk, considering the dearth of current group
followers.
One of the great things about alt.magick is, if you're anonymous, you
don't need to care about making a fool of yourself. It was an
opportunity that in the past I didn't take advantage of as much as I
perhaps should have. I was generally ready to admit when I was wrong or
at fault, but I still wanted to protect myself from shame, to try to
portray myself as someone that was worthy of some respect.
Krysta Laurie
2018-01-10 08:09:06 UTC
the circle is an echo chamber... so my goal is to create rhythms, not to clean. Sensory deprivation drives people mad I hear!
LittleEndian65
2018-01-10 20:08:56 UTC
Post by Krysta Laurie
the circle is an echo chamber... so my goal is to create rhythms, not to clean. Sensory deprivation drives people mad I hear!
I'm not sure "circle cleaning" equates to sensory deprivation. See this:
http://www.sacred-texts.com/oto/aba/chap13.htm

But I think you have a point. Given "That first task of the Magician in
every ceremony is therefore to render his Circle absolutely
impregnable.", and that is my humble goal, I'll rename my posts to
"LittleEndian's Circle Strengthening Diary". Then I get to keep my
alliteration.
Krysta Laurie
2018-01-13 07:41:33 UTC
I have a copy of ABA at my house, lol. That last bit was a sorry attempt at humor on my behalf by extrapolating the subject matter.
Bassos
2018-01-20 14:43:48 UTC
Post by LittleEndian65
Since nobody else is posting anything of note to the group,
Evidence of you posting eliminates your presented 'need' for posting.

Just post if you choose to, no reasons needed.
Post by LittleEndian65
I've decided to talk into the void and use it as an excuse to clean my circle.
Excuses schmack-chooses.
Post by LittleEndian65
I know how to clean my circle.
Not well enuff to predate your presenting an excuse to post.
Post by LittleEndian65
I also know how to slowly let it become
messy again. This is a cycle I've been in for probably over a decade
now. I wouldn't give myself much hope of escaping this cycle, but my
circumstances have recently changed, and a cleaner circle is becoming
more of a necessity.
Ooh, excitement, tension, and the promise of release;

Better be good ...
Post by LittleEndian65
To start with, the plan is to do two 30-minutes sessions of cleaning
each day, one in the morning and one before bed.
Heh.
Thank the morning and cower for the darkness ?

Real cleaning is continuous.

Like what your body actually does.

First step ?

Relax your shoulders.
Post by LittleEndian65
On top of that, I intend to not mess up my circle throughout the rest of the day.
Nonono.

The mess is inside you, not in the messy kitchen.

Ya know the whole being comfortable while being uncomfortable.

You clean, to make something clean.

Coz the muze struk ya, or coz someone else comes along.
No need to make points.

Unless in alt.magick off-course.
Post by LittleEndian65
I expect this plan to evolve over the coming weeks.
Expectations ?

Freely admitted in alt.magick ?

Boy are you gonna gettit :)

(lacking several 9 foot tall gorillas, a link will do)
Post by LittleEndian65
My goal is to clean the circle and keep it clean. I only have humble
ambitions -- no enchanting of brooms to move water.
Shoot beyond the Crown.

No goals anymore.

Just discovering how what ever happens anyway helps you to shoot beyond
the corwn.
Post by LittleEndian65
I intend to post once a week, each Sunday night, with a short report of
my week.
Looking forward to tomorrow :)