REGARDING THE CONCEPT OF PREDICTION
2009-12-19 15:29:05 UTC
Here's some advice to the ignorant of mind who believe in the false concept
called prediction. The nature of prediction implies a set future residing
somewhere in time and space. The same can be said regarding the concept of
the past, which also has no reality in time and/or space. Instead the
concepts of past and future are merely conventions of the human mind,
allowing the expression and communication of complex time relationships.

Prediction, then, implies that the future is a time and/or place which
exists along the timeline. This is the basis for all religious claims, by
the way, which, to the intelligent man, always serves to demonstrate the
falsity of all religion. There is no one or no thing watching over us.

In actuality, time exists only in the immediate present. It exists as an
infinite quantity of points that exist momentarily in the immediate present.
And this is what time is, as best as can be defined: Time exists as
infinite imaginary points of the immediate present. We really can't even be
certain if time actually is; time may be nothing more than the logical
ordering of the mind, existing wholly within the mind but not in exterior
reality. Now that I have explained all this, you can clearly see that the
so-called future is only a figment of unreality.

THANK YOU AND HAVE A PHILOSOPHICAL DAY.

Sincerely,
Colonel Edmund J. Burke
U.S. Army, ret.
[...]