...the Tower
Corey White
2017-10-19 04:00:27 UTC
I've found out that my electronic equipment likes to crash during solar storms. This last one, I couldn't get my phone online for weeks. I researched it, and found the worst solar storm in modern history knocked out all of the transmission lines used for morse. In 2012 a comparable storm occured, but missed the earth. Next time we get hit with the big one what will happen in a world-wide blackout? We spend so much time trying to prevent another 9/11, it is just a matter of time before civilization literally collapses do to a natural disaster beyond our control. But maybe I'm just scaring you for halloween.
Mike_Duffy
2017-10-19 04:45:49 UTC
Post by Corey White
But maybe I'm just scaring you for halloween.
Hi Corey. I'm glad to see you're still active on Usenet.

You are correct about the danger, but if you want something to worry about,
most seismologists agree that the chance of a 9+ Cascadia Subduction Zone
event occuring during our lifetime is between fair to middling.

Or, Yellowstone might blow its top again. The chances are much less, but
way more people would be killed. Or, we could be hit by another asteroid.
Or, we could have another new plague that wipes out everyone except the
Amazon tribes whose only rule for contact with civilization is a general
'kill on sight' policy. Or, two narcissistic megalomaniacs might decide to
'nuke it out'. Or, climate change will turn our breadbaskets into
dustbowls. Or, ....
Mikal606
2017-10-19 13:07:01 UTC
I vote for killer Amazon chicks.