the joker returns?
2016-02-15 04:52:11 UTC
On Jan. 20, 1995 I wrote the following on the
FTE (fumbling-towards-ecstasy) mailing list (devoted
to Sarah McLachlan’s music), and later repeated it
on Jan. 23, 1995 on the Usenet newsgroup alt.pagan :

a pack of cards
the joker missing
seven of hearts
prepare to ring

and said "i'm not yet sure what that means".

But on Wednesday the 17th I will turn 52, which is the
number of cards in a deck or the number of weeks in a
year, and am hoping for positive effects. Since I am
a seventh child I had already associated the "seven"
with myself but only now am I associating the "52" with
myself. Also I used to be a joker on the FTE list.
"You've been so long/Well, it's been so long
And I've been putting out fire/with gasoline" (David Bowie)
David Dalton
2016-02-15 05:44:28 UTC
On Jan. 20, 1995 I wrote the following on the
FTE (fumbling-towards-ecstasy) mailing list (devoted
to Sarah McLachlan’s music), and later repeated it
a pack of cards
the joker missing
seven of hearts
prepare to ring
and said "i'm not yet sure what that means".
But on Wednesday the 17th I will turn 52, which is the
number of cards in a deck or the number of weeks in a
year, and am hoping for positive effects. Since I am
a seventh child I had already associated the "seven"
with myself but only now am I associating the "52" with
myself. Also I used to be a joker on the FTE list.
Also the “hearts” could be associated with Valentine’s Day.

These days I am doing very little in the way of four components stuff.
Deborah
2016-02-27 05:11:07 UTC
Nothing to do with the thread, just have a question for you. Is there
any good reason for a person planning a trip to NL in the dead of
winter to pack the same kind of clothes and boots they would need for
a trip to the Arctic? I mean, is it that cold there in the winter?
David Dalton
2016-02-28 03:11:17 UTC
Nothing to do with the thread, just have a question for you. Is there
any good reason for a person planning a trip to NL in the dead of
winter to pack the same kind of clothes and boots they would need for
a trip to the Arctic? I mean, is it that cold there in the winter?
It isn’t nearly as cold in St. John’s on average as it is in Ottawa,
Winnipeg, and Edmonton, but you would need a winter coat
and boots. It isn’t nearly as cold as the Arctic though. And
this year we have had a mild winter so far and temperatures
for the coming week are projected to be above freezing, and
there is now no snow on the sidewalks. But we still could
get hit with some winter storms in March since spring is
delayed here, while September and October can be nice.
David Dalton
2016-02-28 03:27:56 UTC
Nothing to do with the thread, just have a question for you. Is there
any good reason for a person planning a trip to NL in the dead of
winter to pack the same kind of clothes and boots they would need for
a trip to the Arctic? I mean, is it that cold there in the winter?
It isn’t nearly as cold in St. John’s on average as it is in Ottawa,
Winnipeg, and Edmonton, but you would need a winter coat
and boots. It isn’t nearly as cold as the Arctic though. And
this year we have had a mild winter so far and temperatures
for the coming week are projected to be above freezing, and
there is now no snow on the sidewalks. But we still could
get hit with some winter storms in March since spring is
delayed here, while September and October can be nice.
Off the Avalon is generally colder than on the Avalon, and
Labrador is colder than the island. Also it can be a damp
cold and there can be some wind chill, which might make
it seem colder than a dry cold at a lower temperature
with no wind chill. And it is colder at night than in the day.
Again you would need a winter coat with hood or a toque
and scarf, and winter gloves, and winter boots, from
January to March.
Deborah
2016-02-28 07:26:40 UTC
[...]
Okay, thanks David. I did not realize it was even that cold, there.
Seems like a similar latitude to Victoria, so I guess it just gets
different weather systems, and maybe no El Nino.
David Dalton
2016-02-28 21:42:53 UTC
On Jan. 20, 1995 I wrote the following on the
FTE (fumbling-towards-ecstasy) mailing list (devoted
to Sarah McLachlan’s music), and later repeated it
a pack of cards
the joker missing
seven of hearts
prepare to ring
and said "i'm not yet sure what that means".
But on Wednesday the 17th I will turn 52, which is the
number of cards in a deck or the number of weeks in a
year, and am hoping for positive effects. Since I am
a seventh child I had already associated the "seven"
with myself but only now am I associating the "52" with
myself. Also I used to be a joker on the FTE list.
But I guess the joker could be (a) Trump.