You Want Magick? This Is Where It's At.
Miguel Alberto
2010-01-01 12:55:29 UTC
--- In ***@yahoogroups.com, "lahunken" <gellie618@> wrote:
As you can see, we are doing our best to spread it; but, THEY have a
satellite called HAARP that can erase all electronic records by ripping
a hole in the ionosphere by resonance so that the radiation from the Van
Allen belt will wipe out all electronic media and records, so, you
should copy this on paper and spread it by snail mail.
--- In ***@yahoogroups.com, "lahunken" <gellie618@> wrote:
All the secretive traditions of the Choking Game must be publicly
exposed to prevent the silent deaths of your children. This has been an
"anaerobic" disease, but now, you can cure it.
--- In ***@yahoogroups.com, "lahunken" <lahunken@> wrote:
The "choking game" is the freemasons' superme secret. It stimulates
the parasympathetic nervous system like the hallucinary drug muscarine.
In fact the nerves of the parasympathetic nervous system are called
"muscarinic" for that reason.
LSD results in the same psychosis by blocking the inhibitory neurons
that inhibit the muscarinic neurons in the brain. The public has a right
to know these things, yet, kids have been silently allowed to kill
themselves this way for apparently being prone to "profaning the sacred
mysteries".
The practice can be done in a way to allow breathing. That's what
the knots are for in "blowing on knots" referred to in the Koran, the
witchcraft punishable by stoning under Islamic governments.
The Moslem authorities keep this seceret, yet, if your children were
caught practicing their choking game, or caught with marks on their
necks, called "witch marks", from practicing this, or innocently having
allergic rashes on thier necks, they would be horribly killed by
stoning.
This inquisition is live and well under Islamic governments. I don't
think you want you and your family to live under an islamic government.
Where is the patriotism we had under the Bush Administration?
--- In ***@yahoogroups.com, "lahunken" <lahunken@> wrote:
Of course the freemasons deny Crowley's authenticity. Crowley
betrayed THEM. All their secrets are in his publications. And, you can
find them all in Crowley's "Equinox".
This cultures proclivity to rewrite history grew from freemasonic
policy.
Crowley had the secrets a little cryptic. I recognized them. I'm a
little cryptic with them myself, to avoid lawsuit from people getting
hurt from them, and, they are intimate to me. I have been kicked out of
several Yahoo groups for telling them as they are.
Muscarinic nervous system stimulation will cause anyone to hear
voices. In 1972 a Black Left Hand Path lodge, bitter enemies of the
freemasons, the Clerics of Azagthoth, engraved the dangerous secret in
zinc disks and scaled them out their car windows in several states.
The only secrets Black Left Hand Path lodges keep are names and
places. The White Right Hand Path lodges keep physiological secrets to
keep the people weak.
There was a hushed up scare of the kids using it. My Primavara's son
learned it from his school chums, and one afternoon used it enough to
hear voices. All his life he used it right out in public shamelessly
(THE CHOKING GAME).
The indelible disks were already ubiquitous, so the practice wasn't
suppressed like back in my puberty. Back then, the slightest leak sent
agents spewing out of the wood work to frame and spirit away suspects
into the mental hospital gulags.
Now, it isn't out in the media, but, we are getting away with a lot;
but, the concentration camps are ready, and electronic records can be
wiped out by the HAARP satelite in one second.
Doctors could tell I used it and THEY locked me up and threw away
the key. You can see how I got this gripe. It's the most intense gut
hatred in American history. It's against the freemasons' group spirit
(demon in Greek) and my Pastor is on my side. Christians can certainly
hate demons.
"We fight not flesh and blood, we fight powers and principalities".
The "Equinox" is quite expensive, but, having made as much as $500
an hour as a professional psychic (fortune teller) I could afford it,
and I read all the volumes, from cover to cover.
One's voices come in handy. If you learn a few tricks, like
banishing pentagrams, you will be able to handle your "spirits".
As I said, I laughed at Crowley, not with him. It was great sick
humor, and I had utter contempt for him. Since I read the insidious and
atrocious Liber Al Vel Legis, I can warn the people about the
Thelemites, from punk gangsters to Mugabwe.
Due to my publications "over seas", a 32=B0 freemason picked up my
Primavara on a cruise, and just before he married her, he tried various
tricks to get me in a hospital from supposedly acidental injury, or
locked up.
He failed. THEY silently threw him out, and even after he died of
cancer, it was as if he never joined. He was erased as a freemason.
That's the way it's done. It's to be expected.
But this is not true... if you google, you will find that he CLAIMED
have masonic degrees that the masons deny he was awarded. They even
deny that
he was a mason in good standing.
The problem with the stuff you're saying is that it's not true. You
need
to do better research
oxxoRobyn
In a message dated 9/17/2009 3:51:43 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
I'd say that Aleister Crowley, who held more of the highest
freemasonic
degrees than anyone else in history, was the freemasons worst enemy.
couldn't have done it without him. He paved the way for me.
--- End forwarded message --
Miguel Alberto
2010-01-01 13:59:35 UTC
How can YOUR secret survive this?

Linked: The New Science of Networks
by Albert-L=E1szl=F3 Barab=E1si
Perseus Publishing, April 2002, Hard cover, 229 pgs, plus notes and
Review score: *** out of *****
Introduction
When I originally started this review of Albert-L=E1szl=F3 Barab=E1si's
book Linked: the new science of networks, I intended to wrote an
extended review that would not only review the book, but include more
detail from the papers published by Barab=E1si's research group.
Research papers sometimes have an addictive quality, like some kind of
narcotic. One paper leads to another, soon you're not as sure of your
surroundings as you were when you started. The topic of networks has
grown and changed as I've read more. This review has taken much more
time and turned out much longer than I intended. I originally hoped for
a smooth melding of the book review and the discussion of the more
advanced research material. I was unable to forge this melding. This
book review is divided into two parts: a brief review of the book Linked
and a discussion of the ideas in the book and relative articles.
A Brief Book Review
Albert-L=E1szl=F3 Barab=E1si's book Linked: the new science of networks
is a popular science book on the research that he and his group at
University of Notre Dame (in Indiana) have been doing on networks (or
network abstractions). Networks include actual physical networks, like
the TCP/IP routers that make up the physical substrate of the Internet
and the World Wide Web. Networks also provide a powerful abstraction for
viewing the world around us. Some of these are familiar from everyday
discourse. In the bad old days of the cold war there were espionage
networks. As the cold war died out, focus shifted to illegal narcotics
networks. As terrorist events were targeted at United States assets and
territory, focus has shifted again to terrorist networks, the most
famous being al-Qaeda, founded by Osama bin Laden in a fusion with the
Egyptian Islamic Jihad.
In Linked, Barab=E1si includes a number of less nefarious examples of
networks in the world around us. Perhaps the most famous of these is the
network formed by people we know, that has been described as "six
degrees of separation". Here each "degree of separation" is someone who
knows someone. For example, I might be separated by "three degrees" from
President Putin of Russia via my friend Mike, who knows someone who
knows someone else who used to know Putin in Saint Petersburg (known
then as Leningrad). Barab=E1si's also gives examples of networks formed
by actors who appeared together in movies and by the co-authors of
journal articles. Barab=E1si also looked at synthetic networks, like the
networks of connections between logic gates in a VLSI microprocessor.
The most interesting idea introduced by Prof. Barab=E1si is that the
connectivity of these networks follows a power law, where a fraction of
the nodes have many connections and others have just a few connections.
Linked is written for a general audience. Although there are equations
in some of the footnotes, Prof. Barab=E1si generally avoids mathematics.
The book provides an easy, readable introduction to the properties of
networks and how they can serve as a powerful abstraction in many areas.
There were a few times when I found that Linked dragged. On occasion the
stories and examples meandered around a few core ideas. For those who
want a general technical discussion of the ideas in Linked without the
narrative account describing networks and the adventures of Prof.
Barab=E1si's research group, see The physics of the Web by
Albert-L=E1szl=F3 Barab=E1si, PhysicsWeb, July 2001.
In the introduction to Linked Prof. Barab=E1si writes "This book has a
simple aim: to get you to think about networks". At least in my case,
Prof. Barab=E1si succeeded in this goal. Reading this book prompted me
to start reading a wider body of literature on networks and network
abstractions.
A popular book of this kind necessarily provides an engaging, but one
sided view of a topic. The complexity that might exist in a text book
that surveyed the area is missing. Research group leads like Prof.
Barab=E1si are not only responsible for supervising their research
group, but also for raising money to fund research. Many successful
research group leads have some talent for self promotion, which helps in
raising research money. As long as the self promotion does not get out
of hand, this is probably a virtue in a group lead, not a fault. There
are lots of voices out there and you have to get noticed. Books like
Linked, which are accessibly written for a general audience, help build
name recognition for the author. When it comes to seeking funding
(especially corporate funding), name recognition helps. Perhaps this
explains the motivation for expanding what would normally be a survey
article into a book length work.
Discussion
The study of power law connected networks, of the type discussed in
linked, is relatively new. Most of the references start in the late
1990s and many of the references I have used as a basis for this
discussion appeared this year (2002). The newness of network theory
makes it exciting. The idea put forth in Linked and in the research
papers from Prof. Barab=E1si's research group that complex networks "in
the wild" naturally settle into a characteristic scale-free structure is
an attractive model. I think that many of us want to believe attractive
models. Those that are true make up the most elegant and beautiful parts
of science. But a model should not be accepted simply because it is
elegant. A model should explain both the observed statistical behavior
and the underlying factors that produced these statistics. The work of
Prof. Barab=E1si's group has received wide spread attention, even before
Linked was published. While there is consensus that the link
distribution of the networks under discussion have a power law
distribution, there seems to be little agreement outside of this.
Drawing conclusions in such a new and rapidly evolving area of research,
which currently seems to lack consensus, is a dangerous business. I am a
tourist, visiting this field. The time I can visit is limited. I will be
returning to other areas where I have work that I want to finish. In
such a brief stay, I can hardly claim an extensive knowledge of the
literature. My brief exposure to this field has shown me that it is more
complicated than the picture presented in Linked. The rest of this web
page consists of a deeper discussion of networks and network models,
largely drawn from the research literature.
Networks
A network consists of nodes and links that connect the nodes. A network
is usually fully connected: a path exists from a particular node to any
other node (unconnected networks can be viewed as separate networks). In
a network, effects flow across links, which may span multiple nodes.
Networks provide a powerful abstraction for many processes, including
the Internet and a variety of social organizations. Although a network
may be a static object, like the network formed by journal article
co-authors before the year 2002, networks are frequently viewed as
growing and evolving structures.
Mathematicians refer to networks as graphs. A graph consists of edges
(links) and vertices (nodes). In Linked, Prof. Barab=E1si gives a brief
historical overview of random graphs and the work of the Hungarian
mathematicians Paul Erd=F6s and Alfred R=E9nyi. In random graphs each
node is connected to a fixed number of other nodes in a random fashion.
For example, in a random graph where each node has two links, there will
be two neighbors randomly connected to each node.
The homogeneous connections (e.g., every node has n links) of a random
Erd=F6s-R=E9nyi graph are rarely, if ever, found in networks "in the
wild" (outside of the minds of mathematicians). Roads and airline routes
are not evenly distributed between cities, but are concentrated heavily
in big cities. Some people are more outgoing and have many more social
connections than others. The research done by Albert-L=E1szl=F3
Barab=E1si's group and others shows many naturally occurring networks
self organize into a hub-hased network. In a hub based network, a few
nodes will have many connections while the majority of nodes will have
only a few links.
Hub based networks have a high degree of interconnectivity, especially
near the hub nodes. This contributes to the "small world" effect (this
term comes from the feeling that "it is a small world" when we meet
someone new who knows another person we know). The small world effect is
not surprising when we consider a network topology that consists of some
highly connected nodes. The path between any two nodes (say two people
in a social network) is proportional to the connectivity. If, on
average, the network has k links per node and N nodes, the average path
will be logk( N ). In computer science examples of such highly connected
graphs include B-trees which are used to support high speed database
access of large volumes of data. In a B-tree, each node in a tree
structure has multiple links to nodes farther down in the tree.
The regular structure of regular graphs, like B-trees, is of limited use
in understanding the characteristics of a hub based network. In these
networks, the path length will be determined by the distance a node is
from a hub.
Power laws
Many characteristics in fall into a "bell curve", or Gaussian
distribution. Examples include the height and weight of animals, the
daily return of a stock or the grades on a college exam. Since so many
characteristics fall into a bell curve, it might be naively expected
that the distribution of links in a naturally occurring network follow
this pattern as well. One of the most fascinating things to be learned
from reading Linked is that this is not the case. The distribution of
links in a variety of networks follows a power law.
A power law distribution is simply a function like y =3D xz. Like the
Gaussian distribution, power laws are found in many places in nature. In
a developing embryo cellular growth initially follows an exponential
power law that is approximately y =3D 2n. If, at every time step the
number of cells doubles, this equation will tell us the number of cells
at time step n. As Thomas Malthus pointed out, unconstrained population
also follows a power law of exponential growth. The amount of data
stored on the World Wide Web (WWW) can also be described by the
exponential growth curve of a power law.
Power laws describe Brownian motion, which is sometimes also referred to
as a random walk. The distance R covered by a particle undergoing random
collisions is directly proportional to the square-root of time, T:
R =3D kT0.5
where k is a constant.
Many objects, like growing silver crystals or coast lines have fractal
shapes. The power law describing a random walk can also be used to
describe the characteristics of a fractal shapes. For example, one
measure of the smoothness of a fractal shape is given by its fractal
dimension, which is described by NrD. An example of a fractal dimension
is the Hurst exponent, H, which has values in the range 0 < H < 1. A
Hurst exponent of 0.5 is a random walk. A Hurst exponent less than 0.5
indicates a random process where increases are more likely to be
followed by decreases (mean reversion). Random processes that follow a
trend (increases are followed by increases, decreases are followed by
decreases) will have a Hurst exponent greater than 0.5.
In the case of a power law network, the number of nodes with k links is
N(k) ~ k-gamma. When Barab=E1si and his colleagues looked at the
statistics for incoming web page links (web pages are pointed to be
other web pages) they found a value for gamma close to two (gamma =3D
2.1). For outgoing links (links from a web page to other web pages) they
found a slightly larger value for gamma (gamma =3D 2.5).
The equation N(k) ~ k-2.1 can also be expressed as N(k) ~ 1/k2.1. This
is an asintotic curve that approaches zero as k approaches infinity. A
curve like this suggests that a network will have a few nodes with many
links (hubs) and many more nodes with just a few links. The idea that
networks "in the wild" follow this kind of power law structure seems to
be widely accepted, although the processes that generate networks is a
topic of active discussion.
Barab=E1si and his colleagues refer to networks where the links fall
into a power law distribution as scale-free. I have not found a clear
concise dictionary style definition in their work for what they mean by
this term. Apparently, scale refers to the degree of the node (the
number of links it possesses), not the scale of the observation (for
example, self-similar fractal shapes have the same statistical
characteristics, at different observation scales). One paper used a
somewhat recursive definition: The network whose degree distribution
follows a power law is called a scale-free network. The best definition
I've found comes from Scaling phenomena in the Internet: Critically
examining criticality by Willinger et al, Proc. Nat. Acad. Sci, Feb 19,
2002.
Intuitively, the significance of the discovery is that the vertex
degrees observed in the Internet AS graph are highly variable. In fact,
such highly variable vertex degrees have been unheard of in the context
of the traditional and well studied Erd=F6s-R=E9nyi-type random graph
models or the more hierarchical graph structures that have been proposed
as realistic topology models in the networking literature. In both of
these cases, the vertex degree distribution tends to be sharply
concentrated around some "typical" node degree (e.g., the mean of the
distribution), with essentially negligible probability for encountering
vertex degrees that deviate by, say, more than one order of magnitude
from the mean. Because of the absence of any such "typical" node degrees
in graphs that exhibit power-law vertex degree distributions, these
power-law graphs are also called scale-free graphs.
Italics added in the above quote.
The Rich Get Richer
One of the ways a hub based network can be grown is through
"preferential attachment". When a new node is added to a network, the
links from the new node will have a higher likelihood of being attached
to nodes that already have many links. For example, if the new node
initially starts out with two links, these links will have a higher
probability of being attached to nodes with many links. This does not
mean that a link will not be attached to a node with only a few existing
links, just that it is less probable.
Preferential attachment will favor older nodes, since they will have had
an opportunity to collect links. One of the examples of a naturally
occurring preferential attachment network in Linked is in networks
formed from journal article citations. Early journal articles on a given
topic more likely to be cited. Once cited, this material is more likely
to be cited again in new articles, so original articles in a field have
a higher likelihood of becoming hubs in a network of references.
Preferential attachment in web pages on the World Wide Web is reinforced
by search tools like the Google search engine, which uses a ranking
algorithm that is based on links:
PageRank relies on the uniquely democratic nature of the web by using
its vast link structure as an indicator of an individual page's value.
In essence, Google interprets a link from page A to page B as a vote, by
page A, for page B. But, Google looks at more than the sheer volume of
votes, or links a page receives; it also analyzes the page that casts
the vote. Votes cast by pages that are themselves "important" weigh more
heavily and help to make other pages "important."
Google Technology
A search using Google is more likely to find hub web pages that are
pointed to by other web pages. The author of a new web page will then be
more likely to add a link to this hub page. This behavior in networks,
where hubs tend to be reinforced, is sometimes referred to as "the rich
get richer.
The Strong Get Rich
Formation of hub based networks is not limited to a "rich get richer"
growth rule. Hub based networks can also form on the basis of "fitness".
In such a network, not all nodes have equal fitness. When a new node is
added to the network, it will preferentially attach to nodes with a
higher fitness value. There are many examples of networks that grow
through fitness rules, where new nodes with high fitness form dominate
hubs at the expense of existing nodes. For example, in the early days of
the World Wide Web (1995), the AltaVista search engine, developed by
Digital Equipment Corporation's Western Research Labs, was one of the
most popular search engines. As a result, AltaVista was widely used and
referenced (it became a hub). Three years later Google appeared on the
scene with search technology that many believe is far superior to what
AltaVista had to offer. If my experience and the experience of the
people I know is any guide, Google has formed a dominate hub, although
it appeared three years later than AltaVista.
Winner Take All
As the example of Google and AltaVista show, network models based on
fitness and competition can be dynamic. AltaVista did not disappear, it
became a more minor node. Google has become the major node, but there
are other competitors, like alltheweb.com. Just as Google displaced
AltaVista, it is possible that a competitor with sufficiently strong
advantages (fitness) could displace Google.
There is another network model proposed by Prof. Barab=E1si's research
group: winner take all. In this case a single node becomes so strong
that it dominates the graph. In Linked (pg. 103-104) Barab=E1si writes
Are there real networks that display true winner-takes-all behavior? We
can now predict whether a given network will follow the fit-get-rich or
winner-takes-all behavior by looking at its fitness distribution.
Fitness, however, remains a somewhat elusive quantity, since the tools
to precisely measure the fitness of an individual node are still being
developed. But winner-takes-all behavior has such a singular and visible
impact on a network's structure that, if present, it is hard to miss. It
destroys the hierarchy of hubs characterizing the scale-free topology,
turning it into a starlike network, with a single node grabbing all the
links.
According to Ginestra Bianconi, one of Barab=E1si's graduate students,
the collapse of a network into a single dominate node can be modeling
using the same mathematics that describes Bose-Einstein condensation,
where the atoms in a gas settle into the same quantum state (see
Bose-Einstein Condensation in Complex Networks by Ginestra Bianconi and
Albert-L=E1szl=F3 Barab=E1si).
The example which Prof. Barab=E1si gives in Linked for a network which
has collapsed into dominance by a single node is the network of
computers running a particular operating system. This network is
dominated by Microsoft.
In the last few years experiments have shown that under the proper
conditions, gases do actually collapse into a single quantum state. The
idea that network collapse can be modeled in the same way is attractive.
But is there any reason to believe that the Bose-Einstein model applies
in this case? There was no evidence presented for this. In fact, there
was no evidence presented that the dominance of Microsoft can actually
be explained through a fitness model. Another model, proposed by Brian
Arthur, is referred to as path dependence and is explicitly not based on
fitness.
Conventional economic theory is built on the assumption of diminishing
returns. Economic actions eventually engender a negative feedback that
leads to a predictable equilibrium for prices and market shares.
Negative feedback tends to stabilize the economy because any major
changes will be offset by the very reactions they generate. The high oil
prices of the 1970's encouraged energy conservation and increased oil
exploration, precipitating a predictable drop in prices by 198x.
According to conventional theory the equilibrium marks the "best"
outcome possible under the circumstances: the most efficient use and
allocation of resources.
Such an agreeable picture often does violence to reality. In many parts
of the economy stabilizing forces appear not to operate. Instead,
positive feedback magnifies the effect of small economic shifts; the
economic models that describe such effects differ vastly from the
conventional ones. Diminishing returns imply a single equilibrium point
for the economy, but positive feedback.increasing returns.make for
multiple equilibrium points. There is no guarantee that the particular
economic outcome selected from among the many alternatives will be the
"best" one. Furthermore, once chance economic forces select a particular
path, it may become locked in regardless of the advantages of other
paths. If one product or nation in a competitive marketplace gets ahead
by "chance" it tends to stay ahead and even increase its lead.
Predictable, shared markets are no longer guaranteed.
Quoted from Positive Feedbacks in the Economy by W. Brian Arthur,
Published in Scientific American, 262, 92-99, Feb. 1990. This paper is
also reprinted in Brian Arthur's book Increasing Returns and Path
Dependence in the Economy, The University of Michigan Press, 1994
Microsoft became a dominate force in the computer industry because of
the primitive operating system Microsoft supplied to IBM. IBM called
this operating system PC-DOS. Microsoft retained the right to sell this
software and called their version MS-DOS. At the time IBM adopted
Microsoft's DOS operating system, there were other operating systems
which had a significant user base (in particular, a primitive operating
system called CP/M). By entering the market for personal computers, IBM
created a hardware standard, which other companies copied. These other
companies also licensed Microsoft's DOS.
DOS was not better than other existing software and it certainly did not
represent the best that could be implemented on the hardware that was
available at the time. However, because Microsoft's DOS existed on the
most popular hardware platform, it gained a large user base. This in
turn meant that application developers wrote software for DOS. This
solidified DOS as a standard, as more and more applications became
available.
Whether a network model is useful for explaining the domination of
Microsoft in an economic network remains to be seen. Following the logic
of path dependence, such a model would be based on a degenerate case of
preferential attachment, rather than fitness. Here, the attachment of a
new node depends heavily on the number of links an existing node has. As
more links are added, this preference grows strongly, until almost all
new nodes that are added to the network attach to a single hub.
To restate the history of DOS in the terms the degenerate preferential
attachment network model: MS-DOS dominated the network of personal
computer users because it quickly formed a large hub. The preferential
attachment to this hub became so strong that virtually all users of IBM
PC architecture systems used Microsoft's DOS.
Models and Reality
In constructing a model the builder attempts to capture the important
features, while leaving out detail that is not critical. For example, an
economist building a model of a stock market will try to build a model
with the important market features, without attempting to model the
thousands of market participants. How successfully a model captures the
behavior of a complex system can be judged by a number of factors
including:
Statistical behavior.
Does the model show the same statistical behavior that is seen in the
real world.
Predictive power.
Given a set of starting conditions, can the model predict the outcome in
the real world, with some degree of accuracy.
Robustness
When new data is obtained, which was not used to develop the model, can
the model still explain this data. For example, as we look at the real
world in finer detail, does this detail correspond with the network
model. The model must be true at more than one scale.
In modeling networks a variety of problems are encountered:
Networks are both an abstraction that can be useful in describing
observations and an actual description of structure. For example, a
network abstraction can be used to describe a set of enzyme interactions
in yeast (see Lethality and centrality in protein networks, by Hawoong
Jeong, Sean Mason, Albert-L=E1szl=F3 Barab=E1si and Zoltan N. Oltvai,
Nature 411, 41-42 (2001)). While this may be a useful abstraction, there
are other abstractions that can be used to describe chains of
interdependent biological events. In contrast, the physical structure of
the Internet is a network, composed of bridges at the local level and
routers at higher levels. Abstractions are useful only in their power to
illuminate. An abstraction that is used too broadly may suggest results
that are incorrect.
When a network model is built, it must be shown that it is something
more than a castle in the clouds. The model should display some of the
characteristics of the larger system. For many complex biological
systems and even for the Internet, the actual functioning of the system
is not fully understood. Demonstrating that a model is valid may be
difficult when a information about the real system is missing.
The model should display structure and statistical properties that have
some similarity to the real world case that is being modeled.
In Hierarchical organization in complex networks (Erzs=E1bet Ravasz and
Albert-L=E1szl=F3 Barab=E1si, Sept. 1, 2002) the authors propose a
recursive, fractal, algorithm for constructing networks. The networks
constructed using this algorithm have links with a power law
distribution and a network of any size is scale-free. While these are
both properties that the author claim exist for many network "in the
wild", it is very likely that networks "in the wild" do not grow in this
manner. A more realistic network growth model would grow as real
networks grow, the the addition of one node at a time.
Power Law Distribution and Scale Free Networks
In some cases there is an almost breathless quality in Linked, as
Barab=E1si's research group finds power laws where ever they look. For
example, Barab=E1si writes that his student, R=E9ka Albert, found that
the connectivity in a VLSI netlist for an IBM chip followed a power law:
Jay Brockman, a computer science professor at Notre Dame, gave us data
on a man-made network, the wiring diagram of a computer chip
manufactured by IBM. Before I left for Europe, my graduate student
R=E9ka Albert and I agreed that she would analyze these networks. On
June 14, a week after my departure, I received a long e-mail from her
detailing some ongoing activities. A the end of the message there was a
sentence added like an afterthought: "I looked at the degree
distribution too, and in almost all systems (IBM, actors, power grid)
the tail of the distribution follows a power law."
Linked: the new science of networks by Albert-L=E1szl=F3 Barab=E1si,
Perseus Publishing, 2002, Pg. 80
The VLSI netlist that connects the digital logic gates that make up an
integrated circuit are the result of design. Chip designers follow a
design methodology that results in a highly modular design hierarchy. It
has been widely reported in the literature that connectivity in VLSI
chips follows a power law. In the case of VLSI designs, the "hubs" of
the design are the large modules which make up the internal architecture
of the chip. Inside these modules the network that connects the logic
elements does have a characteristic scale (e.g., a characteristic number
of input and output links). Devices like cascade multipliers have a
highly regular, crystalline, structure. The logic that implements an
on-chip cache and the register file is equally regular in structure.
Only when modules are viewed as large blocks does the power law
connectivity emerge.
Focusing on this kind of low level detail may seem picky, but this
example illustrates the problem of attempting to analyze the structure
of very large networks. The statistical structure is relatively easy to
discover (e.g., the link distribution follows a power law). This
statistical result tells us nothing about the process that generated
this distribution.
By focusing on the statistics without closely examining the structure
that generated these statistics Barab=E1si and his colleagues run the
danger of overly broad generalizations and incorrect conclusions.
Failure and Attack in a Hub Based Network
Networks and systems where the nodes have power law distributed
connections can be resistant to random failure, but are vulnerable to
carefully targeted attack.
The robustness of scale-free networks is rooted in their extremely
inhomogeneous connectivity distribution: because the power-law
distribution implies that the majority of nodes have only a few links,
nodes with small connectivity will be selected with much higher
probability. The removal of these "small" nodes does not alter the path
structure of the remaining nodes, and thus has no impact on the overall
network topology.
An informed agent that attempts to deliberately damage a network will
not eliminate the nodes randomly, but will preferentially target the
most connected nodes.
Error and attack tolerance of complex networks by R=E9ka Albert, Hawoong
Jeong and Albert-L=E1szl=F3 Barab=E1si, Nature, July 2000, Pg. 378
The idea that a network can be crippled by targeting the highly
connected hubs is a something that we intuitively know:
The Italian Mafia was largely destroyed as a force in organized crime by
sentencing the leaders (the highly connected hubs of the organization)
to long jail terms. Obviously a campaign of jailing low level Mafia
goons would not have had as powerful an effect on the organization.
Historically, in war, snipers preferentially target the hubs of the
opposition (e.g., the officers).
Israel has targeted the leaders of organizations like Al Fateh and Hamas
in an attempt to cripple these groups.
Campaigns against illegal narcotics, in theory, target large dealers and
importers.
Can an attack targeted at Internet hubs damage the Internet?
Although it is generally thought that attacks on networks with
distributed resource management are less successful, our results
indicate otherwise. The topological weaknesses of the current
communication networks, rooted in their inhomogeneous connectivity
distribution, seriously reduce their attack survivability. This could be
exploited by those seeking to damage these systems.
Error and attack tolerance of complex networks by R=E9ka Albert, Hawoong
Jeong and Albert-L=E1szl=F3 Barab=E1si, Nature, July 2000, Pg. 378
Perhaps the first question to ask is: Does the link distribution of the
routers that make up the Internet follow a power law suggesting a scale
free network? Measurement of the actual structure of the Internet is not
an easy task and is the subject of ongoing research (see Topology
discovery by active probing Bradley Huffaker, Daniel Plummer, David
Moore, and k claffy, June 2002). Earlier research, based on the border
gateway protocol routing table that connect the sub-networks that make
up the Internet does suggest that the Internet is a scale-free network.
Visualizations of the Internet also suggest a hub based network, which
gives rise to the power law distribution. For example:
Diagram of Internet connections, showing the major Metropolitan Area
Exchanges (MAE), by K.C. Claffy, republished on Albert-L=E1szl=F3
Barab=E1si's Self-Organized Networks Gallery web page.
The Internet has become so large that visualization of its structure has
become very difficult. Many of the visualizations of the Internet are
both beautiful and very difficult to understand. For example, the image
below is from a poster available from Peacock Maps
Copyright Peacock Maps, 2002, used with permission.
Prof. Barab=E1si and his colleagues point out that hub based networks
are vulnerable to attack. From this they conclude that the Internet,
which is a hub based network, is also vulnerable to attack on a
relatively small collection of hub node. This is a rather scary idea.
The Internet is an increasingly important part of the world wide
technology infrastructure. An attack that crippled the Internet could
seriously do harm to the United States. At a time when there is a great
deal of attention given to terrorist threats, a systemic vulnerability
of this kind is not to be taken lightly. In a Scientific American
article Prof. Barab=E1si and his co-author Eric Bonabeau write:
The Achilles' heel of scale-free networks raises a compelling question:
How many hubs are essential? Recent research suggests that, generally
speaking, the simultaneous elimination of a few as 5 to 15 percent of
all hubs can crash a system. For the Internet, our experiments imply
that a highly coordinated attack -- first removing the largest hub, then
the next largest, and so on -- could cause significant disruptions after
the elimination of just several hubs. Therefore, protecting the hubs is
perhaps the most effective way to avoid large-scale disruptions caused
by malicious cyber-attacks.
Scale-Free Networks by Albert-L=E1szl=F3 Barab=E1si and Eric Bonabeau,
Scientific American, May 2003
Is there actually any basis for the fear that the Internet could be
disabled by attacking a set of highly connected hubs? Prof. Barab=E1si
and his research group have not shown that such a threat really exists.
In fact, they seem to have largely ignored the actual physical structure
of the Internet. In some cases Barab=E1si does quote research papers on
physical structure, but the relationship between bandwidth, network
structure and robustness seems to have been lost on him. In earlier
work, Barab=E1si refers to experiments that used a web crawler, to
follow web page links, gathering statistics on an abstract information
network composed of web pages and their links. It was not always clear
to me that Barab=E1si clearly separated the structure of the information
that is stored in the global network from the physical network
structure. The physical network that we call the Internet is composed of
computers, coaxial cable, fiber optic cable, network amplifiers,
transceivers, bridges and routers. Any attack on the Internet would be
aimed at the hardware and software that makes up this network.
In Scaling phenomena in the Internet: Critically examining criticality
by Walter Willinger et al they do present measurements that suggest that
the Internet is a scale free network, where the number of links N(k) is
proportional to k-gamma, where gamma is about 2.1. Given that the
Internet is hub based, will an attack on a relatively small number of
hubs cripple the Internet as a whole? This depends on whether the hubs
are actually responsible for important connectivity. As Prof. John
Doyle, at the California Institute of Technology, points out, the
Internet is backbone based:
The "hidden fragilities" that are claimed to be in the Internet are
simply not there. There are no central, highly connected hubs. There is
a simple reason for this: the high speed routers that make up the
backbone of the network necessarily have low connectivity. This
structure is driven by basic technological constraints: you can switch a
few lines very fast or a lot of lines more slowly, but not a lot of
lines very fast. The highly connected hubs exist at the periphery of the
network to concentrate lower speed connections (for example,
concentrators for dial-up or DSL lines).
Prof. John Doyle, Cal. Tech., personal communication, December 2002.
Although power laws do not seem to tell us much about Internet
vulnerabilities, this does not mean that the Internet cannot be harmed
by targeted attacks at a few selected points. If the Internet were
visualized not by connectivity, but by bandwidth, the visualization
might be expected to show a set of backbone links, which connect major
population centers. Note that these backbones form fanout points, not
hubs. In the United States the connecting points of the Internet
backbone are referred to as the Metropolitan Area Exchanges (MAE) (see
Simpson Garfinkel's 1996 account of a visit to MAE West, Where Streams
Converge).
An event that harms these exchanges has the potential to harm the
Internet as a whole. In this age of terrorist worries, there is a
tendency to think that such harm might come from a terrorist event. In
fact the greatest threat to the Internet in the year 2002 has been the
era of corporate greed and fraud. MAE West and a significant fraction of
the metropolitan infrastructure was operated by Metropolitan Fiber
Systems, which was purchased by WorldCom Communications in 1996. In 2002
WorldCom declared bankruptcy as a result of vastly overstated profits.
The ex-Chief Financial Officer of WorldCom, Scott Sullivan, is awaiting
trial on criminal charges as I write this. When WorldCom declared
bankruptcy there was serious concern that WorldCom might stop operating
important parts of the Internet backbone. So far these fears have not
materialized and WorldCom continues to operate portions of the Internet
backbone while in bankruptcy proceedings.
Another well known Internet vulnerability involves the the root servers
which provide Domain Name Service (DNS) support. Currently thirteen of
these servers exist in several countries. In Took a Licking, Kept on
Ticking, IEEE Spectrum, December 2002, Steven M. Cherry discusses the
October 21, 2002 attack that managed to disable the majority of these
root servers. An attack that entirely disabled the root servers would
have harmed the ability of Web servers and other users of DNS to resolve
addresses like bearcave.com to their underlying IP addresses.
Fort N.O.C.'s:The heart of Internet security lies in obscurity by Brock
N. Meeks, January 20, 2004
This article discusses Brock Meeks visit to one of the thirteen Internet
root servers in Virginia. The entry control security would keep out the
average hacker, but it does not sound like it would stop an armed group.
On the other hand, wiping out a single root server will not bring down
the Internet, so perhaps such measures are not necessary.
Robustness, Highly Optimized Tolerance, Networks and Hubs
In Linked Prof. Barab=E1si discusses several examples of cascading
failure. In Linked Barab=E1si suggests that large scale cascading
failure may be the result of failure spreading from highly connected hub
to highly connected hub.
My reading on network theory, as it is discussed in Linked lead me to
the papers by Carlson and Doyle on Highly Optimized Tolerance (HOT).
This was a somewhat accidental journey, since those working on HOT
theory sometimes strongly disagree with some of the claims made by the
network theorists. Despite these disagreements, I believe that there may
be a connection between the observations of HOT theory and network
theory, although this connection is currently only speculative.
Like network theory, HOT theory has been developed in the last few years
and is still a developing research area. HOT theory examines robustness
and catastrophic failure in large complex systems. HOT applies to
complex systems which show optimal behavior in some dimension. For
example, one of the early abstract models of a HOT system involves a
theoretical forest. Random "sparks", with a particular distribution,
land in the forest and burn areas of trees that are interconnected. A
forest manager can build fire breaks that separate one section of the
forest from another, preventing the spread of a forest fire caused by a
random spark. An optimized forest is one that preserves the number of
trees, while minimizing the damage caused by forest fire. Using a
variety of optimization algorithms, Carlson and Doyle found that the
optimized abstract forest was robust for one distribution of sparks, but
could catastrophically fragile in the case of another distribution. The
losses in the forest fire model followed a power law.
The forest fire model is a toy model and it is not clear yet whether it
relates to actual forests and forest fires. This work is suggestive for
real worlds systems, however. Many systems exist in optimized states,
either as a result of design or evolution. In the case of an evolved
system, they resist failure in the environment in which the system
evolved. Designed systems resist failure in the cases envisioned by the
designers. Small events, which have never been encountered before or
which the designers did not expect can cause catastrophic system
failure.
Our design strategy was essentially predictive: based on extensive
experience with such systems, we attempted to reason about the behavior
of the software components, algorithms, protocols, and hardware elements
of the system, as well as the workloads it would receive.
[...]
In all cases, the anomalies arose because of an unforeseen perturbation
to the system that resulted in the violation of one of our operating
assumptions; the consequences of these violations were unusually severe.
Robustness in Complex Systems by Steven D. Gribble, Proceedings of the
8th Workshop on Hot Topics in Operating Systems
Large complex systems exhibit emergent behavior, which cannot be
reproduced in a smaller, simpler system. This behavior is not predicted
by the system designers and can only be understood my measurement and
discovery. Seemingly small changes can cause large scale global effects.
A butterfly flaps its wings and the system crashes.
The implications of complex systems, emergent phenomena and system
fragility are usually looked at in relation to engineered systems, like
large router networks (e.g., the Internet). By studying HOT and looking
for models for complex behavior, we can hope to design better systems.
Complex systems also exist in the society around us, particularly in the
financial system.
The financial system in the modern world is also an optimized system
that can be viewed as a strongly hub based network. The hubs consist of
the large banks (e.g., CitiCorp, United Bank of Switzerland (UBS), Bank
of America). These banks have been closely involved with the large
market trading companies like Goldman Sachs. In many cases, the large
banks have purchased trading companies. It is reasonable to speculate
that the size of the large banks, like the distribution of wealth,
follows Pareto's Law (which is a asintotic power law).
The financial system in the United States is a result of both design and
evolution. Rules have been put in place which attempt to avoid serious
failure. The system has evolved in the face of strong evolutionary
forces, which exist because of the desire of wealth. The rules that
govern the financial system are usually a response to historical events.
One might expect that a system as large as the US financial system would
only be vulnerable to large events (e.g., the demise of the Internet
bubble). However, there is reason to believe that the US financial
system, like any highly engineered optimized system, is prone to failure
caused by small unexpected events. The most stark example of this was
demonstrated by a hedge fund named Long Term Capital Management (see
Inventing Money by Nicholas Dunbar, John Wiley and Sons, 2000).
At its peak, Long Term Capital Management (LTCM) had an investment base
of $4 billion. This made LTCM a large hedge fund, but it was dwarfed by
the large mutual funds. While a failure of LTCM could cause pain to
those involved with the hedge fund, such a failure would not be expected
to have any effect on the huge US financial markets. As it turned out,
this expectation is wrong. LTCM differed from mutual funds and even
other hedge funds by the size of the positions they took and the amount
of leverage (credit) they used. By using large amounts of leverage, LTCM
could take advantage of small changes in the market to make large
amounts of money. For several years LTCM has a 40% return, after fees
were paid to the fund managers. The other side of the profits that can
be realized from leverage is risk and loss. LTCM controlled huge
financial positions. When their investments went against LTCM, there was
a danger that LTCM would default on their investment contracts. It was
feared that an LTCM default would start a cascade of failure that could
have engulfed the large investment firms and banks, which in turn could
have caused serious economic damage. The United States Federal Reserve
organized a bail-out of LTCM to avoid this.
In general the complex systems that make up the modern world are robust
in the face of expected losses. That a relatively small investment fund
could cause cascading failure in the US financial system was unexpected.
There were no rules (design) in place to protect the system against this
unforeseen failure.
Humans are building increasingly complex systems. Anyone who has been
involved in the design, development, implementation and testing of a
large complex system knows that these systems are fragile. Evidence is
starting to appear that complex optimized systems, like large software
codes, exhibit scale-free network structure (see Scale-free Networks
from Optimal Design by S. Valverde, R. Ferrer Cancho and R.V. Sole).
Network theory and the theory of highly optimized tolerance gives us a
framework to think about large systems and their failure modes. This
suggests two questions:
Are there lessons that can be applied to complex system design to
produce systems which are more reliable?
Are there models that can help us understand the behavior of complex
systems?
One of the lessons suggested by both Gribble and Newman et al is that
systems should not be operated near their capacity limits. Systems that
operate near their designed limits exhibit fragility and catastrophic
failure from small events. A robust system would be designed with some
excess capacity that would only be used sporadically.
The idea of designing a system with excess capacity is common in
structural engineering. For example, bridges are commonly designed with
excess capacity. While few people would suggest that bridges be designed
to only support their expected maximum load, we tend to allow computer
systems to operate near peak loads.
Excess capacity can be built into designed systems, but the issue is
more complicated in evolved systems. The opportunity for financial gain
which is aggressively persued by market participants may push markets
into critical areas where they are vulnerable to failure as a result of
small events. No clear understanding exists of where these limits exist
or how to recognize them. Even if market limits could be defined and
recognized, market participants would strongly resist anything that
moved them away from these edges, since large profits (and losses) also
exist at these extremes.
Part of the promise that the study of networks and highly optimized
tolerance holds out is that useful models might be developed, beyond the
intellectual frameworks that currently exist. This is a difficult task,
since most of the systems that we want to model show complex emergent
behavior that cannot be reproduced in smaller test systems. Modeling
complex systems is a worth while goal, but there is reason to believe
that success will exist in only carefully constrained areas.
Network theory and HOT theory show that many complex systems have
similar characteristics. The successes and failures in modeling one
complex system may apply to another. For a half century modern
mathematics and statistics have been applied in an attempt to understand
markets and economics. There have been some real successes (for example,
in understanding stock portfolio construction and market options
pricing). But models of the larger economy have not proven to be very
useful. Although economics is a larger and more complex system than the
systems we design, the limitations in economic modeling may also apply
to large complex systems engineered systems.
Reference Hubs
These are bibliography web pages, with Web links to other references.
Networks
Self-Organized Networks (Barab=E1si's group), University of Notre Dame
Physics Department
International Network for Social Network Analysis
Lots of references to network applications in social science settings.
Plus a rather Barab=E1si style overheated headline Network research
points to global AIDS solution. This is discussed in Linked. The
proposal is to target the "hubs" of AIDS spread. These hubs consist of
the individuals who have many sexual partners. By knocking out the hubs,
it is reasoned, the spread of AIDS can be greatly slowed.
The Knowledge Discovery Laboratory, University of Massachusetts,
Amherst, Department of Computer Science
This group is lead by Prof. David Jensen. Their focus seems to be on
statistical (Bayesian) techniques to discover information in semantic
graphs (networks, in the sense meant here). Prof. Jensen's group is also
doing work on agent based systems and data mining.
According to the Associated Press article Pentagon continues some 'data
mining': Controversial office eliminated, but not all research, February
23, 2004 (reprinted on MSNBC) some of this work was originally funded by
the infamous Admiral John Poindexter (Ret.) at DARPA as part of the
"Total Information Awareness" program. As far as I'm concerned this
simply means that Adm. Poindexter funded some good programs, although,
as his history demonstrates, he is tone deaf when it comes to political
issues.
Mark Newman, Professor of Physics and Complex Systems, University of
Michigan
Prof. Newman has published interesting work on both networks and
robustness (making it difficult to know where to place him in this
catagorization). Some of this work deals with the analysis of very large
networks. Prof. Newman's web site includes web links to his papers.
Along with his contributions to network theory, Prof. Newman has
published an interesting review article, The Structure and Function of
Complex Networks
Networks and Robust Systems
Robustness and the Internet, California Institute of Technology Network
Laboratory
Robustness in Natural, Engineering, and Social Systems, Santa Fe
Institute
John Doyle's web page at Cal. Tech.
This web page includes links to articles written or co-authored by John
Doyle on Networks and Robustness.
Jean Carlson's web page at UC Santa Barbara
Prof. Jean Carlson has co-authored a number of papers with John Doyle on
Networks and Robustness.
Web Resources
Zipf's Law
In some of the literature discussion power laws, there is a mention of
Zipf's law. Zipf's law is an asintotic power law that describes a number
of observations, the occupance of works in English and income
distribution. Zipf's law is P(i) ~ i-a, where a is close to 1.0. A
related power law is Pareto's law. For a good discussion of Zipf's law,
Pareto's law and power laws see Zipf, Power-laws, and Pareto - a ranking
tutorial, by Lada A. Adamic
Six Degrees of Lois Weisberg She's a grandmother, she lives in a big
house in Chicago, and you've never heard of her. Does she run the world?
by Malcolm Gladwell, The New Yorker, January 11, 1999
This article is on social networks. The article is from Gladwell's web
site gladwell.com. I've read a number of his articles in the New Yorker.
As an essayist, Gladwell is simply fantastic. Very smart and a very good
writer. I also read his book The Tipping Point (reviewed here), which
covers some network issues from a social context point of view. While
this book was interesting, I found it dragged some.
Power Laws, Weblogs, and Inequality by Clay Shirky
Clay Shirky is difficult to classify. It would be fair to say that he is
not a researcher and this is a more non-technical reference than most of
those listed here. This web page describes an interesting example of the
formation of hubs in "blog" hits. (A "blog" is a weblog, a sort of daily
diary and free form essay that is updated every day. Blogs have become
very popular, apparently with people who have too much time on their
hand or egos that are even more out of control than mine)
Clay Shirky points out that "blog" hits form a power law, with a few
"bloggers" getting the vast majority of hits. Shirky's results echo some
of teh results reported in other papers citing power law structure on
the Web.
Papers available on the Web
Book Reviews
The New Science of (Random) Networks by Rick Durrett, Notices of the
American Mathematics Society, February 2004
This is a review of both Linked and Six Degrees: The Science of a
Connected Age by Duncan J. Watts. The reviewer also notes Barab=E1si's
overheated and egotistical style. So I wonder if the title of the review
is a play on another even more egotistical work, A New Kind of Science
by Wolfram. Durrett writes:
As I was reading this book, I plotted a review filled with pointed
remarks: "Barab=E1si's book, like catastrophe theory, says nothing about
everything, which will not please mathematicians, who are more inclined
to knowing everything about nothing." "Mathematicians have much to learn
from Barab=E1si. We would generate many more sales with titles like
Calculus: The Science of Motion. A theory that explains everything from
the workings of nanotechnology to the motion of galaxies, from the
flowing of blood in our hearts to the emotions that govern it."
Egos aside, both Barab=E1si and Wolfram have important things to say and
are worth reading.
The Tipping Point by Malcolm Gladwell
Little, Brown and Co., 2000
This is my review of Malcolm Gladwell's book The Tipping Point, which
discusses, among other things, social networks, including early work
done my the experimental psychologist Stanley Milgram.
Networks
Scale-free Networks without Growth or Preferential Attachment: Good get
Richer by Authors: G. Caldarelli, A. Capocci, P. De Los Rios, M.A.
Munoz, October 28, 2002
Emergence of scaling in random networks by Albert-L=E1szl=F3 Barab=E1si,
R=E9ka Albert, Science 286, 509-512 (1999)
Hierarchical organization in complex networks by Erzs=E9bet Ravasz,
Albert-L=E1szl=F3 Barab=E1si, Physical Review E.
Modeling the Internet's Large-Scale Topology by Soon-Hyung Yook, Hawoong
Jeong, and Albert-L=E1szl=F3 Barab=E1si, Proceedings of the Nat'l
Academy of Sciences 99, 13382-13386 (2002)
Scaling phenomena in the Internet: Critically examining criticality by
Walter Willinger, Ramesh Govindan, Sugih Jamin, Vern Paxson, and Scot
Shenker, Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA, Vol. 99, Suppl. 1, 2573-2580,
February 19, 2002
Net Analysis Gets Turbo Boost by Michelle Delio, Wired News, August 21,
2003
This popular article describes some work done at Georgia Tech on rapidly
modeling massive internet traffic.
Self-organizing networks and autonomous agents
Albert-L=E1szl=F3 Barab=E1si and his colleagues have modeled various
ways that complex networks can form based on a set of mathematically
describable rules. It may be possible to model the emergence of the
rules described by Albert-L=E1szl=F3 Barab=E1si's equations using
"autonomous agents", which have a set of behavior rules. Behavior rules
may not be easily defined as equations, since agents can "remember" and
"learn". These agents are, in turn, models for more complex autonomous
agents, referred to as humans, which have assembled networks like the
Internet, social networks, the spread of disease or of ideas.
A brief www.slashdot.org article (linked here) pointed me to Prof. Frank
Schweitzer's group at the Humboldt University (Berlin) Instiut f=FCr
Physik, which has done some work on autonomous agents and
self-organizing networks. This work is summarized in a Technology
Research New article:
Network builds itself from scratch by Kimberly Patch, Technology
Research News March 26/April 2, 2003
Some of the papers by Prof. Schweitzer's on agents and self-organizing
networks can be found on his Active Particles / Agent Models web page.
This includes the recent paper
Self-Assembling of Networks in an Agent-Based Model by Frank Schweitzer
and Benno Tilch Physical Review E Vol. 66 (April, 2002) 026113 (1-9)
WebGraph Department of Science and Information, Universita degli Studi
di Milano
Studying very powerlaw graphs (or networks) requires some method for
optimizing storage, since the data sets are so large. WebGraph seems to
provide such a tool, at least for web pages and hyper-links.
From the abstract of the paper The WebGraph framework I: Compression
techniques by Paolo Boldi and Sebastiano Vigna, Technical Report 293-03,
Universitartimento di Scienze dell'Informazione, 2003:
Studying web graphs is often difficult due to their large size.
Recently, several proposals have been published about various techniques
that allow to store [sic] a web graph in memory in a limited space,
exploiting the inner redundancies of the web. The WebGraph framework is
a suite of codes, algorithms and tools that aims at making it easy to
manipulate large web graphs. This papers presents the compression
techniques used in WebGraph, which are centred around referentiation and
intervalisation (which in turn are dual to each other). WebGraph can
compress the WebBase graph (118 Mnodes, 1 Glinks) in as little as 3.08
bits per link, and its transposed version in as little as 2.89 bits per
link.
You are who you know, Andrew Leonard, June 15, 2004, Salon
This Salon article describes a small fad that has emerged afor social
networking web sites. These web sites allow users to build networks of
friends, acquaintances and those who have similar interests. The Ur-web
site for this was Friendster. Other social networking sites have spun
off of this.
Networks and Unstructured Data
There is an obvious relationship between network theory and the the so
called "page rank" algorithms used by search engines.
Patterns in Unstructured Data Discovery, Aggregation, and Visualization
by Clara Yu, John Cuadrado, Maciej Ceglowski, and J. Scott Payne
Networks, Finance and Economics
A number of people have suggested a relation between market
characteristics and power laws. For example, see Why Stock Markets
Crash: Critical Events in Complex Financial Systems by Didier Sornette,
Princeton Univ Press, 2002.
Power laws, networks and finance are a growing topic in the research
literature as well. Here are a few references from Prof. H. Eugene
Stanley's web pages at Boston University.
A Theory of Power-Law Distributions in Financial Market Fluctuations
(pdf) by X. Gabaix, P. Gopikrishnan, V. Plerou, and H. E. Stanley,
Nature 423, 267-270 (2003)
Multifractal Properties of Price Fluctuations of Stocks and Commodities
by K. Matia, Y. Ashkenazy, and H. E. Stanley, Europhys. Lett. 61,
422-428 (2003)
Self-Organized Complexity in Economics and Finance (pdf) by H. E.
Stanley, L. A. N. Amaral, S. V. Buldyrev, P. Gopikrishnan, V. Plerou,
and M. A. Salinger, Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. 99-Supp, 2561-2565 (2002)
Networks and Robustness
How a butterfly's wing can bring down Goliath Chaos theories calculate
the vulnerability of megasystems by Keay Davidson, San Francisco
Chronicle, August 15, 2003
This article briefly discusses the massive power grid failure in the
Eastern United States and Canada in terms of highly optimized systems
and edge of chaos behavoir.
While this is a non-technical article by a newpaper science writer, I
think that the issues it raises may turn out to be true. As power
companies have been deregulated they have concentrated on optimizing
their profits. This may have resulted in a power grid that operates in
an "optimal fashion", but without much margine for error. Systems that
operate near their limits may also operate near a boundary where chaotic
behavior exists on the other side.
Too Darn Hot, by Philip Ball, Nature, March 17, 2000
Optimal design, robustness, and risk aversion by M.E.J. Newman, Michelle
Girvan, and J. Doyne Farmer, 2002 (PDF format). This paper was published
in Phys. Rev. Lett. Vol. 89, 028301 (2002)
For historical reasons, I periodically take a look at Doyne Farmer's web
page at the Santa Fe Institute to see what he is working on. For me this
was the ur-paper on HOT theory. This paper lead me to other papers,
which resulted in the discussion on this web page.
COLD safter than HOT, by Philip Ball, Nature, February 27, 2002
This is a brief discussion of the Paper by Newman et al, above.
Robustness and the Internet: Design and evolution by Walter Willinger
and John Doyle, March 1, 2002
Highly Optimixed tolerance: Robustness and Design in Complex Systems by
J.M. Carlson and John Doyle, Phys. Rev. Letters, Vol. 84, No. 11, Pgs.
2529-2532, March 13, 2000
Power Laws, Highly Optimized Tolerance, and Generalized Source Coding by
John Doyle and J.M. Carlson, Phys. Rev. Letters, Vol. 84, No. 24, Pgs.
5656-5659, June 12, 2000
Self-organized criticality in forest-landscape evolution by J.C. Sprott,
Janine Bolliger and David J. Mladenoff, Physics Letters A 297 (2002)
pgs. 267-271, May 13, 2002
Doyle and Carlson discuss forest fire models and optimized tolerance.
This paper by Sprott et al is another discussion on forest evolution and
robustness. What is interesting is that I did not notice any references
by Sprott et al to the work of Doyle and Carlson.
Robustness in Complex Systems by Steven D. Gribble, Proceedings of the
8th Workshop on Hot Topics in Operating Systems
This is an excellent and rather humbling paper that describes serious
failure from relatively small, unexpected errors in a carefully designed
distributed storage system
Software, Scale-free Networks and Optimal Design
Scale-free Networks from Optimal Design by S. Valverde, R. Ferrer Cancho
and R.V. Sole, Europhysisc Letters, April 16, 2002
Scale-Free Networks from Optimal Design: Additional material by S.
Valverde, R. Ferrer-Cancho and R. V. Sole
Sergi Valverde Castillo's Web Page. This web page provides an
interesting description of Sergi Castillo's work on software as a scale
free network. There are some lovely pictures as well (always important
in Network research).
Small Worlds Software
This is a software tool that claims to have transformed the ideas behind
scale-free networks and "small worlds" into "a highly innovative
software engineering tool". In a rather high level white paper, this
company claims that:
Healthy large-scale software is distinguished by low average component
dependency (2.5 . 3.5 components) and small average impact of change
(1-5%). On the contrary, most poorly written, entangled systems have low
stability and low adaptability. Any small changes tend to ripple through
the entire structure, bringing avalanches of bugs. Bad software is also
difficult to adapt, because it lacks necessary abstractions (insulators,
Martin2000) and wires implementations directly to other implementations.
Ideally software should be designed to minimize the impact of changes.
If software has a high degree of interconnections (dependencies) changes
will ripple through the program. The desire to minimize
interdependencies runs counter to the desire to reuse software. For
example, classic UNIX software would show heavy reliance on the UNIX
standard library. Software reuse means that the interdependence metric
is not as simple as this company suggests.
Network and Graph Software
TouchGraph
TouchGraph is an impressive open source software package for displaying
graphs, ontologies and networks. TouchGraph is written in Java. The
TouchGraph Web site states:
TouchGraph provides a hands-on way to visualize networks of interrelated
information. Networks are rendered as interactive graphs, which lend
themselves to a variety of transformations. By engaging their visual
image, a user is able to navigate through large networks, and to explore
different ways of arranging the network's components on screen.
Visually navigating through a network is inherently a dynamic process,
and steps need to be taken to keep the user feeling oriented and in
control. TouchGraph achieves this by keeping the graph looking as static
as possible, and more importantly, by making sure that dynamic changes
are predicable, repeatable, and undoable. The associative nature of a
network makes remembering its structure surprisingly easy, but it is the
experience of seeing a series of recurring stable visual images that
really gives a boost to the user's memory. The ability to create and
navigate these stable images is what makes TouchGraph special, and is
also the key to empowering both the designer and the user.
There are many innovations to be made before the evolution of the
graph-based interface is complete. TouchGraph LLC seeks to be at the
forefront of these developments, and anticipates a time when associative
networks, and the graph-based interfaces used to navigate them are
omnipresent.
Graph Visualization Tools from the University of Michigan "Warriors of
the Net" group.
This web page includes likes to 3D and 2D graph viewers. The software is
from various sources, including caida.org (the Cooperative Association
for Internet Data Analysis) and Tamara Munzner, at Stanford (e.g., her
H3 graph layout software).
LEDA: Library of Efficient Data Types and Algorithms.
LEDA is a library of C++ graph data structures and algorithms. These
algorithms concentrate on classical graph algorithms. LEDA is described
in an excellent book, LEDA: A Platform for Combinatorial and Geometrical
Computing by Mehlhorn and N=E4her, Cambridge University Press, 1999.
LEDA has been commericalized by a German company Algorithmic Solutions
Software. In addition to LEDA they sell other graph and network
software.
AT&T Labs Graphviz: Open source graph visualization software
Graphviz apparently evolved from the old troff era dot software.
Graphviz is considerably more powerful than the old dot program and has
been used to display very large graphs like those involved in VLSI
designs and software. Graphviz runs on both Windoz and UNIX.
aiSee graph visualization software
This is a commerical product which runs on a variety of platforms. It is
free for non-commercial use. A posting in comp.compiles (by someone from
AbsInt, the company that developed aiSee) describes aiSee as follows:
aiSee was developed to visualize the internal data structures typically
found in compilers. Today it is widely used in many different areas:
Database management (entity relationship diagrams)
Genealogy (family trees)
Business management (organization charts)
Software development (control flow graphs, PERT charts)
Hardware design (circuit diagrams, networks)
aiSee reads a textual, easy-to-read and easy-to-learn graph
specification and automatically calculates a customizable graph layout.
This layout is then displayed, and can be interactively explored,
printed, or exported to various formats.
aiSee has been optimized to handle huge graphs automatically generated
by other applications (e.g. compilers). It is available for Windows,
various Unix dialects, and Mac OS X/X11.
Ian Kaplan
December 2002
Last updated on: June 2004
Book review table of contents
back to home page
m***@gmail.com
2017-04-18 20:41:51 UTC
Post by Miguel Alberto
[...]
Due to my publications "over seas", a 32° freemason picked up my
--- End forwarded message --
m***@gmail.com