Young Witches
2016-06-11 03:59:20 UTC
Hi I am 16 and am beginning in Wicca, Im doing my best to learn knew things
about wicca, and have decided to be wiccan but my family are all devote
christians, and Ive found that its incredibly difficult to continue expanding
my knowledge of it without them finding out. My Mother is my main obstacle
because that is who I live with and she is very stuck in her ways, anything
out of the ordinary, or strange to her, is basically evil in her eyes. For
example she found one of my notebooks in her car that i had left in there by
accident and took it to work and showed her friend, who told her it was
witchcraft, she brought it home and basically told me it was the work of
satan and that if she ever catches me doing it shell kick me out. Can anyone
help me with Ideas to explain my religion to her so that shell be able to
understand it or should I just wait till I am of age and move out?
Tell her that Wiccans are white witches and do not believe that
a Satan exists and that the basic moral laws of Wicca are
compatible with Jesus’s sermon on the mount. Also the
line “you shalt not suffer a witch to live” in the bible is
mistranslated, a better translation is “thou shalt not suffer
a poisoner to live”. If she would be willing to house you
if you were an atheist she should be willing to house you
when you are a Wiccan.
“ `There must be some way out of here’ said the joker to the thief
`There's too much confusion, I can't get no relief' " (Bob Dylan)
David Dalton
2016-06-11 04:16:35 UTC
On Jun 10, 2016, Tatum Ramey wrote (on alt.witchcraft)
[...]
But I am not a Wiccan and my Christian family members are
not very devout, so some other readers may have more
relevant comments.
Mike Duffy
2016-06-11 15:51:57 UTC
Wiccans are white witches and do not believe that a
Satan exists and that the basic moral laws of Wicca
are compatible with Jesus’s sermon on the mount.
[...]
If she would be willing to house you if you
were an atheist she should be willing to house
you when you are a Wiccan.
This might work as long as her Mom is not too devout. Tatum might also say
(if she really believes it; one should never lie) that she believes that
Jesus Christ was a great leader and teacher who was willing to pay the
ultimate price to say the things that *he* believed.

It might be difficult Tatum, but you should always keep in mind that your
Mom is just trying her best to do what she feels is best for you. It would
be a shame for you and your Mom to lose the special connection between a
parent and a child just because of her Christian 'blinders'. I'm not
saying that you should put your personal spiritual develpment on hold until
she dies of old age just to prevent her from feeling dissapointed in you.
But there should be a way for you to work out a truce. You are the one in
the best position to work out how to do this. Any advice you get from
strangers like us is at best generic, and at worse could ignore important
stumbling blocks that will just make things worse.

My targeted advice is to seek out the trust of someone neutral that you
both respect that can meditate your interaction with your Mom on this
issue. This is not neccessarily someone who must always be present when you
talk to her, but someone you can both freely talk to. The obvious
suggestion in this case is her own pastor. He or she should prefer keeping
you in the flock as a 'work in progress' rather that writing you off as a
'lost cause' in order to preserve the very important amicable
mother-daughter relationship. There is probably nobody else more qualified
to find the relevent parts of the Bible to read to her in order to persuade
her to accept your point of view. (She will never support it, but it is
enough that she accepts it.)

I could give advice on how to encrypt documents and evade detection of
Internet access, but that would be counter to the free exercise of will and
expression of ideas that are important to personal spiritual development.
--
http://mduffy.x10host.com/index.htm