Traditions surrounding the solstice
Add Reply
Corey White
2018-11-16 04:37:14 UTC
I am helping to organize a solstice celebration involving students
directly from or descended from many different cultures, and would
like to know what ceremonies or traditions you observe or know of.
I think when I grew up the main tradition was lighting a giant
bonfire in the evening. This probably isn't allowed on Vancouver
beaches, but probably will happen on the (nude) Wreck beach.
Do most people begin the observances on the day of the solstice
(June 21 this year), and conduct a vigil past sunset, or begin
on the previous evening, June 21, and conduct a vigil until
dawn, and then until noon? Does midsummer's eve refer to
the evening before midsummer or the evening of midsummer?
Also, since the new moon almost coincides with the solstice
this year, I was wondering if there is any significance,
in your culture, your belief framework or in myth, of the
coincidence of the dark of the moon with the strength of
the sun.
Note that this posting to alt.magick was an afterthought,
and I have also posted this request to alt.pagan and
many of the soc.culture.* groups, with Followup-to
set to alt.pagan,soc.culture.misc , so many responses
will not appear in alt.magick . E-mail responses are
also welcome.
I also posted requests for solstice music and food/drink
recommendations to alt.pagan and other groups.
(I hope the world can come together in peace for a global celebration.)
--
Dept. of Geophysics & Astronomy, (604) 822-2267
2219 Main Mall, University of British Columbia fax 822-6047
David Dalton posted this to alt.magick when i was 10 years old!
David Dalton
2018-11-16 05:26:29 UTC
Post by Corey White
[...]
But I was 29, and my second waning crescent high came
the following week (it began the night of June 16).

Also in Newfoundland the Catholic Bonfire Night is usually
June 24 and the Anglican Bonfire Night is Guy Fawkes Night.
“I'm sick of sitting 'round here trying to write this book
I need a love reaction/Come on now baby gimme just one look" (B.S.)
David Dalton
Colonel Edmund J. Burke
2018-11-17 17:38:28 UTC
Post by Corey White
[...]