thou moon of moons and of blessings
2019-06-04 07:25:00 UTC
It is early waxing moon again so maybe this time the landlady’s
eyes (sun and moon) will open wide with delight for sure.

The Silver Bough thumb

Once in 1996 or 1997 I thumbed at random a book on Scottish folklore called
The Silver Bough Vol. 1 by F. Marian McNeill. It came out to a page with this
poem on it:

Ri faicinn domh na gealaich uir,
Is duth domh mo shuil a thogail.
Is duth domh ma ghlun a leagail,
Is duth domh mo cheann a bhogadh,

Toir cliu dhuit fein, a re nan iul,
Gum faca mi thu a rithist,
Gum faca mi a ghealach ur,
Ailleagan iuil na slighe.

Is iomadh neach a chaidh a null
Eadar uine an da ghealaich,
Ged tha mise a' mealtainn fuinn,
A re nan re 's nam beannachd!

which translates as:

When I see the new moon,
It becomes me to life mine eye,
It becomes me to bend my knee,
It becomes me to bow my head.

Giving thee praise, thou moon of guidance,
That I have seen thee again,
That I have seen the new moon,
The lovely leader of the way.

Many a one has passed beyond
In the time between the two moons,
Though I am still enjoying earth,
Thou moon of moons and of blessings!

Now in that I think new moon refers not to the modern new moon or dark of
moon but the early waxing crescent moon or first horn of moon.
“Goin' away far across the sea/But I'll be back for you/I'm gonna tell
you everything I know/Baby, everything is true” (Van Morrison)
David Dalton
2019-06-05 03:28:40 UTC
[...]
However I am probably like Sisyphus rolling the moon rock up the hill again.